Hello and Welcome!
I discovered the joys of friendship when I was 10 years old and met Billy Murphy, my first best friend. We had a lot in common, but more importantly, I could easily talk to him about my life and feelings. I have treasured having close friends ever since.
All of us thrive when we connect with others in meaningful ways. Our close friends give us the sense of being “seen and understood,” an almost indescribable magic. Life without them is not as bright or safe a place.
As a clinical psychologist in private practice for over 35 years, I have given the subject of friendship much thought and analysis. I’ve observed that our ability to lead a happy, healthy, and fulfilled life is strongly tied to our ability to make and keep friends.
Most of us are not born socially gifted, so we have to learn the art of friendship. I created this site to share what my clients, family, friends, and colleagues have taught me along the way about how to build longer-lasting, more satisfying connections.
Thanks for joining me! I look forward to your comments, ideas, and questions.
Here’s what you’ll find on this site:
1. My posts about friendship as well as articles from featured qualified professionals addressing a wide range of friendship topics, such as:
- How to choose friends wisely
- Dealing with difficult friends
- How to communicate with friends more effectively
2. Advice column for any friendship question